Is there anything more classic than pumpkin pie at the holidays? Once you taste that homemade taste of a pumpkin pie, you won’t want to buy one another pie. Plus, by baking it yourself, you will have the wonderful pumpkin-y smell wafting through the air in your house.
At this time of year, you will find most of these ingredients on sale, and there will probably be some coupons, too. Make sure you stock up on those sale items so you have enough to last you through the season (you don’t want to pay full price later!).
Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- 1 cup Shortening
- 2 cup Flour
- 1 Egg
- 4 tbsp cold Water
- 2 tsp White Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 1/4 tsp Cloves
- 2 Eggs
- 15 oz Pumpkin Puree
- 12 oz Evaporated Milk
- Work shortening into flour with a pastry cutter until texture resembles meal.
- Beat egg and add to mixture.Add cold water and vinegar and stir until just incorporated.
- Place in a zipperd bag.Flatten to about 1/2″ with a rolling pin.Freeze for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface and place in pie pan.
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves together.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Add in pumpkin,sugar mixture and evaporated milk.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for another 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
And here are some other pumpkin recipes you may enjoy:
- Homemade “Healthier” Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Pumpkin Dip
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Hershey Kisses
- Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins
Like these deals? Don’t forget to sign up for the Saving Cents with Sense Newsletter to find deals, coupons, and money saving tips in your mailbox each day. You can also follow on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Pinterest This site uses affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.