Disclosure: This is a sponsored post, however, this post contains my opinions and experiences and was not altered by the sponsor.
Blue Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
Red velvet cake is one of my guilty pleasures. My son loves it too, and we always ask for it on our birthdays. So, when I was given a recipe for Blue Velvet Cupcakes, I knew I had to try it. My other children love cupcakes, so it wasn’t a stretch to ask them to help me make cupcakes this summer. Plus, I was just at Target and they had many holiday baking supplies on clearance, so I grabbed some white frosting with blue sprinkles. It may be June – but with kids that are singing the tunes from Disney’s Frozen every day, I had a feeling that Blue Velvet cupcakes with Sparkly Sprinkles would be a hit!
I may try these next time with red frosting to make Spiderman cupcakes and surprise my son – he is such a huge Spidey fan! Whatever theme you decide to go with, I guarantee they will be a hit. These taste amazing!
How to Make Blue Velvet Cupcakes
This recipe from Tracey at Tracey’s Culinary Adventures also has instructions for homemade frosting, which I’m including for you. I’m sure it is delicious, but since I found that sale at Target with the sprinkles, I didn’t try it, but I thought you might.
- 2½ cups cake flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ cups vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp. blue food coloring
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 2½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2½ cups confectioners sugar (10 oz)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cupcake tin with non-stick spray or insert cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In large bow, combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla and vinegar. Whisk vigorously until well combined and smooth. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Divide the batter evenly in the cupcake tin, filling each hole about ¾ full. Bake 17-19 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly pressed with your fingertip and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to wire rack to let cupcakes cool for a few minutes. Remove them from the pans to cool completely.
- For the frosting, in a large bowl, beat the mixture with an electric mixer for about 20 seconds. Add the confectioners sugar and salt, beat at medium-low to incorporate the sugar. Increase the speed to medium and beat until fully combined (about 30 seconds). Add the vanilla and heavy cream, beat on medium until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 4 minutes or until mixture is light and fluffy.
If you have ever made anything with food coloring – you know that it can be a bit messy! Lucky for this mom, I had Dawn Ultra to help me get everything clean again in less time, so we had more time to enjoy family time.
While the cupcakes were cooking, I wanted to get everything cleaned up. Dawn Ultra has a powerful formula that keeps suds going to clean greasy grimy – and blue stained – dishes. Not only did I get the bowls and utensils cleaning from our baking adventure, I was also able to clean the dishes from breakfast quickly and easily.
I let Dawn do all the hard work by soaking the dishes for about 5 minutes while I cleaned up the counter from our mess. No harsh scrubbing was needed, even on hardened ketchup from the breakfast plates. I had everything cleaned up in time to get our cupcakes out of the oven. Once the cupcakes came out, we let them cool for about 20 minutes, added our frosting and sprinkles, and enjoyed our new baking adventure!
Are you ready to try grease fighting power of Dawn with your cupcake mess? One lucky Saving Cents With Sense reader will give a Dawn Ultra Blue Cupcake Pack, which includes:
- A Bottle of Dawn Ultra
- Blue food coloring
- Dawn Ultra Blue Cupcakes recipe
- Mixing bowl
- Non-stick cupcake tin
This giveaway ends Tuesday, 6/24/14. The winner will be chosen using rafflecopter. You get extra entries for Following Dawn on Twitter and/or Facebook, too, so don’t forget those easy entries. Enter below:
Disclosure: This review was made possible by Double Duty Divas and Dawn. I was provided the featured product free of charge to facilitate my review, but all opinions are 100% mine. Read more on my Disclosure page. Please be sure to review the Giveaway Terms & Conditions before entering this contest.