If you are wanting to show what you are thankful for this Thanksgiving in a way that is fun and frugal, why not consider a Thankful Tree? A Thankful Tree is easy to make and even more fun to create. It is a wonderful way to show what you are grateful for and even get your children in on the action. Take a look below at how you can make a Thankful Tree and really ring in the Thanksgiving holiday right.
Thanksgiving DIY: How to Make a Thankful Tree
- A bundle of twigs or sticks from your yard
- A large, empty can, bucket, or milk jug
- Green, brown, yellow, and red construction paper
As you can see, most of these items can be found right in your own house or local dollar store.
1. Place some sand or rocks in the bottom of the vessel of your choice.
2. Arrange the branches in the vessel so they are secure.
3. On your construction paper, make some leaf outlines. You can just freehand these if you wish or trace a real leaf or two. Cut out the tracing carefully until you have a dozen or so leaves of various colors and sizes. If you want a leaf template to use, I found this one (although there are plenty to choose if you search online).
4. On one leaf, write something you are thankful for. You can do one or two leaves a day if you wish.
5. Poke a hole in the leaf and run your yarn through. Hang the leaf from one of your branches.
6. Repeat these steps the next day. Each child or family member can create a leaf as well.
7. Over the course of several days, you will see your Thankful Tree starting to form. It will become full and colorful, decorated with all of the people and things you are grateful for.
As Thanksgiving approaches, you will have a lovely, colorful fall tree that shows how appreciative you and your family are of the blessings in your life. This is a fun activity your family can enjoy together, revisiting each night before you settle in for dinner or bedtime. At the end of the Thanksgiving season, remove your leaves but save them to revisit next year.
It is important to give thanks for what we have, and a Thankful Tree is the perfect family activity to do exactly that!