Frugal Fall DIY Project: Puzzle Piece Apple
I love Fall. And I love simple – so I am excited about this DIY project! Some of the best DIY projects are the ones where you take everyday objects and turn them into something exciting and new. Not only is it a great way to repurpose something, but it is also a great way to save some money too. If you are looking for a fun and frugal fall craft project, this Puzzle Piece Apple is the perfect fit. Take a look below at how easy it is to turn a few puzzle pieces into a fun and decorative piece perfect for adding a touch of fall to your home.
Puzzle Piece Apple
- Small to medium sized puzzle pieces. I purchased mine for just .50 cents at a thrift store, but you can even grab a 50-100 piece puzzle at the dollar store and it will work great too.
- Spray paint or craft paint in both red and green.
- Picture frame. Check out your dollar store for lots of options.
- Brown lunch bag
- Old newspapers
- Craft glue or hot glue
1. First, lay your puzzle pieces out on a piece of newspaper. Reserve 2-3 for your stem. It does not matter which side is facing up.
2. Apply a liberal amount of red craft paint or spray paint covering them entirely.
3. While the red pieces are drying, apply some green paint to the puzzle pieces you reserved.
4. While your pieces continue to dry, take your frame apart and set the pieces aside. Use the frame to trace around your brown bag, as you will use the brown paper as the backing for your apple. This way you are sure it will fit in the frame.
5. Once the pieces are dry, draw a light outline of an apple on your brown paper with a pencil.
6. Apply a small dab of glue on the outline and press your first red puzzle pieces onto it. Continue applying glue to the outline or directly to the puzzle pieces and press into place. Start filling in the apple shape. You can even begin layering once the shape is filled in to create some three dimensional depth.
7. Once your red apple looks the way you want it, glue in one or two green pieces to the top to act as the stem.
8. After your pieces are securely into place, take the completed apple and insert it into your frame. Close the frame up just as you would a picture. You are now ready to display it!
See how easy it is to make this fun and frugal fall craft? This is a great way to use up those puzzle pieces to puzzles you will never put together, or just a great craft to try using some basic dollar store materials. So gather the kids and get crafting, you are sure to enjoy this easy and inexpensive DIY!