Under the Sea Lunch: Fish Bites and Seashells & Cheese
Just in time for Shark Week! Why have a plain ol’ lunch when you can make it an under the sea adventure! Let your kids imaginations soar with this fun ocean-themed lunch. You can make your own fish sticks, or “fish bites” and then pair them with some fun and healthy sides like “Seashells & Cheese” (recipe below) and some flavored goldfish.
These crunchy fish bites deliver some healthy vitamins and minerals; Vitamins A, B-12, B-6, D, E, niacin, and omega-3 fatty acids. In addition the flax seed adds fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and lignans. It is often considered a “super food”. Using panko breadcrumbs adds a crunch that kids love! If you really want to add in even more health benefit add in some wheat germ to the breadcrumbs.
They freeze well (which is something I love) – if you are inclined make a double batch, put them in freezer on baking sheet to freeze first, then move to a freezer bag, don’t forget to label with a sharpie.
- 4 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 4Tbsp. ground flax
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Cod fillets
- 3 bowls for breading
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In the first bowl mix flour, and flax.
- In second bowl whisk egg and milk well.
- In the third bowl place breadcrumbs.
- Cut Cod fillets into small bite sized pieces, sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Dredge in flour mixture, then egg mixture, and finally breadcrumbs.
- Place breaded bites on a parchment lined baking sheet , bake for 10-12 minutes until breading turns golden brown.
Under the Sea Sides
Homemade Tarter Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise ( to make mine even healthier I sub in plain greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp. relish
Just mix well and serve. I’ve found it tastes better if you make this ahead of time and let is chill together.
Quick and Simple Seashells & Cheese
- Boil 1 cup shell pasta
- Drain well
- Mix pasta with 1 Tbsp. butter, 3 Tbsp. shredded cheddar, 1 Tbsp. milk
- Add salt and pepper to taste
What other items would you add to your Under the Sea lunch for your ocean adventurer?
Like these deals? Don’t forget to sign up for the Saving Cents with Sense Newsletter to find deals, coupons, and money saving tips in your mailbox each day. You can also follow on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Pinterest This site uses affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.