Under the Sea Lunch: Fish Bites and Seashells & Cheese
Just in time for Shark Week! Why have a plain ol’ lunch when you can make it an under the sea adventure! Let your kids imaginations soar with this fun ocean-themed lunch. You can make your own fish sticks, or “fish bites” and then pair them with some fun and healthy sides like “Seashells & Cheese” (recipe below) and some flavored goldfish.
These crunchy fish bites deliver some healthy vitamins and minerals; Vitamins A, B-12, B-6, D, E, niacin, and omega-3 fatty acids. In addition the flax seed adds fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and lignans. It is often considered a “super food”. Using panko breadcrumbs adds a crunch that kids love! If you really want to add in even more health benefit add in some wheat germ to the breadcrumbs.
They freeze well (which is something I love) – if you are inclined make a double batch, put them in freezer on baking sheet to freeze first, then move to a freezer bag, don’t forget to label with a sharpie.
- 4 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 4Tbsp. ground flax
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Cod fillets
- 3 bowls for breading
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In the first bowl mix flour, and flax.
- In second bowl whisk egg and milk well.
- In the third bowl place breadcrumbs.
- Cut Cod fillets into small bite sized pieces, sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Dredge in flour mixture, then egg mixture, and finally breadcrumbs.
- Place breaded bites on a parchment lined baking sheet , bake for 10-12 minutes until breading turns golden brown.
Under the Sea Sides
Homemade Tarter Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise ( to make mine even healthier I sub in plain greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp. relish
Just mix well and serve. I’ve found it tastes better if you make this ahead of time and let is chill together.
Quick and Simple Seashells & Cheese
- Boil 1 cup shell pasta
- Drain well
- Mix pasta with 1 Tbsp. butter, 3 Tbsp. shredded cheddar, 1 Tbsp. milk
- Add salt and pepper to taste
What other items would you add to your Under the Sea lunch for your ocean adventurer?