Make your own version of store bought French toast treats that are not laden with unpronounceable additives and fillers. A great Sunday morning breakfast that can do double duty. Make some to eat right away and some to freeze for busy school mornings.
These are simple to make, freeze and reheat. If you are making a larger batch, you can do it all at once by placing the french toast sticks on a baking sheet coated with non-stick spray. Just put them into a preheated to 475ᵒ oven, bake for 5 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 2 minutes. Quick and Easy!
Homemade French Toast Sticks
- 1 loaf of bread (We like to use Texas Toast, it holds up well)
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 5 eggs
- Whisk milk, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, in eggs until well combined.
- Cut each piece of bread into 3 strips.
- Dip bread in mixture on both sides.
- Place strips in a large non-stick pan coated with non-stick spray over medium heat.
- Brown on each side for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan, and set aside what will not be eaten immediately, and allow to cool.
- Cut strips into 3 pieces again, creating bite size squares. Lay in a single layer on a baking sheet covered in wax paper and place in freezer.
- When bites are solid remove from freezer and place single serving amounts in individual freezer bags. Mark with date.
- To serve- allow to thaw overnight in refrigerator, place in toaster oven or conventional oven at 350ᵒ for 3- minutes each side. Or if using straight from freezer -microwave for 30 seconds at a time until warmed all the way through. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve with a side of syrup.
Find more Back to School Recipe Ideas.
Like these deals? Don’t forget to sign up for the Saving Cents with Sense Newsletter to find deals, coupons, and money saving tips in your mailbox each day. You can also follow on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Pinterest This site uses affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.