Chicken & Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers
We have been making our own fresh jalapeno poppers for several years. The original Cheese Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers recipe was to bake the poppers instead of frying them to make them a tad healthier. But with the HOT summer, I really don’t like turning my oven on. At. All.
So, my hubby had the great idea to grill the poppers! What started as a simple “grilled poppers” recipe as an appetizer turned into a oh-so-yummy recipe that can be used as a main course – or maybe a side dish.
- Large Jalapeno Peppers
- 1/3 cup Shredded Chicken (we cooked our chicken breast in a crockpot and then shredded it)
- 1/3 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (we used a “Mexican Cheese” blend)
- 4 Tbsp. Reduced-Fat Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup Corn
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. pepper
- 1 Tsp. minced garlic
1. Cut the Jalapenos in half (length wise), removing the seeds and tops. Make sure you don’t leave any of the seeds unless you really like it HOT.
2. Mix the shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, corn, and spices together to make the filling.
3. Scoop enough of your chicken/cheese mixture to fill the jalapeno halves.
4. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top of each popper.
5. Carefully place them on the grill using tongs. You’ll want to let them cook for 8 – 10 minutes on medium heat or until the cheese starts to brown.
6. Serve while they are hot. You can add a side of sour cream and/or guacamole, too.
If you really don’t want that much spice – you could try this with bell peppers (quartered). The grilling does help tone down the “heat” of the pepper and we found it was perfect! What do you think – will you try these?
Like these deals? Don’t forget to sign up for the Saving Cents with Sense Newsletter to find deals, coupons, and money saving tips in your mailbox each day. You can also follow on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or Pinterest This site uses affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.